Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I don't have a lot experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once. But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

I liked the required fiction reading from high school, but when it comes to reading any fiction written after 1960, I have had a harder time finding anything I liked. I can't really tell the  difference between good contemporary fiction and mediocre fiction, so I usually end up with the bad and mediocre and categorize all modern fiction that way (I do love the Shopaholic series more than I care to admit). I've tried to make an effort to try to read more contemporary fiction.

This year I read about 25 fiction books that were published after 1960, not counting the out-and-out lies in Miley Cyrus's "memoir." My method of picking these books has been to go to the new fiction section in the library and pick out the shortest or most notable books in the section. This week I checked out a Nobel Prize winner's works and the book I heard had won the Thurber prize. In case critically acclaimed or universally loved by all of Sweden and Norway isn't enough, I decided to also try what was popular. Which is why I have finally decided to bow to peer pressure and read Twilight.




The author is really taking her time getting to the vampires. 

No comments:

Post a Comment