Thursday, April 21, 2011

I've always wanted to see Macon, Georgia.

I copied this from the Best Study Abroad Blog in the World. It is meant to be a 15 day quiz for Tumblr, but I'm going to complete it all here now. And I'm going to count places in the US as well as abroad.
  1. Favorite place(s) you’ve been to - In the US, the north rim of Grand Canyon. Abroad, Normandy, especially Pointe du Hoc.
  2. Where you’d like to travel next - Hong Kong. My parents are moving there to serve a humanitarian/welfare mission for 18 months. I'm hoping to visit them there.
  3. An adventure/challenge you had while traveling or living abroad - One happened in Mexico and one in Carlsbad, California, but they both involved going on terrifying and iffy looking roller coasters.
  4. A picture of you in another country - I can't find my flash drive with my France photos, otherwise I would have posted a photo of me with a cannon at this museum in France. I'm changing this question to "Where will you travel next?" and that is Branson, Missouri, a city I'm obsessed with for its ability to increase my chances of becoming a total square.
  5. What do you bring with you when you travel? - A journal.
  6. What does “home” mean to you? - My family together, making jokes about members of my family.
  7. Besides people, what did/do you miss from home? - Diet Coke. Coke Zero is not the same, rest of the world. I love other countries and it's not a deal breaker, but it is the one of the few things that makes me feel patriotic.
  8. A favorite food from another country/culture - I liked a lot of the food I had in France and I love Thai food, but the winner is THE BEST WAFFLE I have ever had, from the basement of  Manor in Geneva, Switzerland.
  9. A song you like from another country/language - Ma Philosophie by Amel Bent, partly because I heard it at least three times a week in Paris. A music store in France also introduced me to my favorite band, Pink Martini.
  10. A favorite foreign movie - One of the first Bollywood movies I watched, Rocket Singh - Salesman of the Year.
  11. Did you have any milestones or “firsts” while traveling or living abroad? I visited two Catholic masses at Notre Dame and Sacré-Coeur.
  12. Someone who influenced you to travel abroad - I misinterpreted this as someone who influenced you while traveling abroad, so my answer to that is my host in France, Sophie, who read every book she could get her hands on. Who influenced me to travel abroad, that was a poster in my school's study abroad office.
  13. A favorite travel quote - "In Spanish there is a word for which I can’t find a counterword in English. It is the verb vacilar, present participle vacilando. It does not mean vacillating at all. If one is vacilando, he is going somewhere, but does not greatly care whether or not he gets there, although he has direction. My friend Jack Wagner has often, in Mexico, assumed this state of being. Let us say we wanted to walk in the streets of Mexico City but not at random. We would choose some article almost certain not to exist there and then diligently try to find it."-John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley.
  14. What did you learn from traveling abroad? Don't swing your arm wildly for emphasis when giving a presentation on a paper in an art museum. Even if the painting is in a relatively dark corner of the museum.
  15. Advice to someone who’s thinking about traveling to another country - Do what John Steinbeck said in #13. Know the bus schedule as well as you know the subway schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment